A good friend of mine by the name of Jim Denham invited me out to see the Outer Banks with him and some buddies. After seeing photos of the piers, lighthouses, and the ocean, I couldn’t turn down this offer. I am very thankful that I was able to make this trip!
Our time in North Carolina was met with some resistance from Ma Nature. She hit us with rain, high winds, and a sun that just didn’t want to come out to play. Oh, and the mosquitoes. Oh those freaking mosquitoes. Yet, we would not be deterred from our quest to capture light. In the end, I walked away with some great memories, new friends, and a few photos to say I was there.
I did learn a few things as well:
- Wind + Sand = Exfoliation
- Rain will come at you in the blink of an eye
- Ocean piers are crazy photogenic
- Don’t dress in a winter coat and then hoof it across sand dunes to snag a sunset photo in spring weather
- Long exposure photography is fun
I do hope I can get back there at some point. Maybe I can actually take up a friend on his offer to come out and enjoy some time in the Smokies as well.